SIUC Dept. of Communication Studies RSOs
BrandU is a FREE one-day event hosted by the Department of Communication Studies at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The event is organized by CMST students and is designed to give SIU students, alumni, and guests access to successful industry professionals, social media influencers, and communication experts. Students learn how these individuals use communication to conduct business, lead and collaborate with others, make money, or generally do what they do every day. Students have an opportunity to ask questions and learn directly from those in industry. The goal? Get students thinking about how they can use the communication skills and knowledge they are learning in the classroom to be successful professionals. To build their professional brand.
Featured Speaker @ 11 a.m. CST
Everything you use, from your home to your smartphone, from highways to supermarkets, was designed by someone. What did they get right? Where did they go wrong? And what can we learn from how these things were designed to make better choices for our own lives and futures? In this fun and fast-paced talk, author Scott Berkun will share his own story of success through the power of communication and teach you how to use the power of design to solve every problem that comes your way.
All Events Virtual & Central Standard Time (Chicago)
- Scott Berkun is the national best-selling author of eight books on design, creativity, and public speaking
- Michael Shrewsbury, professional YouTuber (Channels: Locked In & Alternative Cycling Network)
- Everlena (Lena) Williams, Global HR Business Partner, Global Sales Operations/Enterprise Programs/Sales Project Leader at Sandvik Coromant
- Farooq Shah, Brand Manager, Comcast Business, Speaker & Author
- D'Anthony Williams, Senior Account Executive, Digital/Influencer Strategy at MSLGROUP & co-founder National Millennial Community
- Julie Lubbers, Strategist at Sylvain Labs, co-founder National Millennial Community
- DJ Jeffries, Graduate Student at Columbia University, SIU CMST Class of 2017
- Danielle Lorentz, Graduate Student at SIUC, SIU CMST Class of 2020
- Kevin Rufty, Training Magazine's Top 25 Emerging Training Leader | Director of Training at Clean Juice
- Shermaine M Perry-Knights, Master Instructional Designer | Speaker | ATD 2020 One to Watch Award Winner
- Sandy Pensoneau-Conway, Chair of Dept. of Communication Studies
- Nanci Burk, Expert Online Educator with more than 20 years of online teaching experience.